Fence Installation Process: How they are built?
There are a lot of fence builders out there. Some of these business like FenceKeeper for instance, come highly recommended and can do the job while you sit around and watch sports. While you may want to take this route if you are short on time and value convenience, you may also want to know how to built your own fence DIY style.
In this post, i’m going to give an overview of all the steps you need to take when actually putting up your new fence after an intro on why you may want to build a fence in the first place.
If you are trying to increase the security of the home and keep it safe from the intruders, then it is a must to build a fence around your house. Various materials are used for the construction of fences, for example, the vinyl, aluminum, wood, wrought iron and lots more. Before building a fence around your house, you need to very careful and for this reason, knowing the fence building process is very necessary. However, before beginning this process, you need to research the fencing guidelines of your area.
Necessary things for fencing:
The basic things that most of the professional fence installers use are a hammer, mason’s line, level. Tape measure, chalk, plumb bob, drill machine, gloves, pencil, sledgehammer, safety goggles, screwdrivers, fence panels, galvanized nails, post caps, measuring wheel, spray paint and lots of other things. A lot of the fence installers use latest and most updated machinery for a quick and efficient result.
The Fence Building Procedure:
- Measuring and laying out the fence posts: The most important thing that the professional installers decide is the type of the fence, so that, they can determine the width of each panel. Then they measure the property line and as well as the position of the fence. They outline it by using spray paint and measure this outline with the measuring wheel. The gate of the fence is outlined by parallel lines. Then they find out the number of fence panels required for the fencing of the house. They position the fence posts by using the spray line as a guide.
- Digging of holes: Digging perfect holes are crucial for this process. The professional people use a post-hole digger and dig holes that are approximately three times wider than that of the post and a half in depth. The depth, In this case, depends on the climate of the country, for example, the cold countries dig the holes below the frost line. The skilled installers make sure that the fences do not interfere with the utility pipes or hotlines.
- Adding of gravel and concrete: As the fence installers are done with the digging of the holes, four to six inches of gravel are poured down the base of the hole for the maintenance of proper drainage system. Six to eight inches of concrete mix are added once the gravel is set. The post then positions on the middle of the mixture of the concrete. They make sure to slope the concrete mix away from that of the post. Then, the plumb post is done with the help of a level. They take at least three days for the proper drying as well as curing time.
- Attaching to the rails or panels to the fence posts: Once the concrete is cured, the expert workers attach the rails or the panels of the fence to the posts. Then, they secure each and every rail with either the 2 ½ inch deck screw or the galvanized 10D 3-inch nails. They mostly use the deck screws in place of the nails if they are installing vinyl, aluminum or chain link for the construction of the fence. They give more attention at the time of attaching the rails or panels because it is one of the most important parts of the whole procedure.
- Attaching of the pickets to rails: As soon as the rails are in the place, they start attaching the pickets to the rails. They are aware of the fact that, individual pickets are a lot more attractive on the slopes because it allows them to make a straight line across the top.
- Attaching of the post caps: To give the fence a final finishing touch the fence installers attach the caps to the posts.
Here you can see the process in action:
This procedure is followed by most of the professionals in this field around the world. Some of them just use more heavy and updated machines.
As you can see, these process can be a lot of work, but when you are done building your fence I guarantee you will feel more like a man!